Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 8 -- A Day You Realized What You Wanted To Do/Be



Um...I still don't know what I want to be except for happy and successful but as far as career goals go, this story kinda pains me.

I was in high school and the first thing I wanted to be was a lawyer. I liked reading/studying (ha...that changed), I liked debating (my mom called it arguing but whatever) and I liked the thought of helping those that couldn't help themselves. But my mom said that my attitude was all wrong for the courtroom. She could just see me getting upset at the judge and getting thrown in jail for contempt. So I pushed that aside.

I had gotten accepted into Winston Salem State University and had decided that I was going to study English Literature but my mother said that it was too far from home and if something went wrong with my car, she wasn't going to come down and help me so I just needed to stay in Richmond. She also thought that Eng Lit wasn't very lucrative.  So I pushed that idea aside.

A couple of years later, I went to nursing school for a minute and wanted to be a neonatal nurse. But my mom (notice a pattern here?) said  that it wouldn't be a good fit for me because I loved kids too much and I wouldn't be able to handle seeing sick babies that were born. So I pushed that aside as well. Funny thing about this was, my mom was a nurse.

So to be honest, I have no dreams right now because, even though she's been deceased for almost 14 years, I can still hear her voice in my head. I know I shouldn't let that deter me but sometimes, it does.

I have made an effort to support my kids in whatever dreams they have...even if I don't agree with them. There's nothing worse than to be told you can't or shouldn't do something even though you have the resources, knowledge and will to do it.

That's all I gotta say about that.

7 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

:(

...but you're learning a whole new way of thinking...and that's going to help you power through those nagging thoughts of doubts. The first time you do something past the fear of it...you've won.

The God'ess said...

:-)

Reggie said...

"Um...I still don't know what I want to be except for happy and successful"

I'm feeling that. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

The God'ess said...

;-)

Lamont C said...

I feel you. The thing(s) I love(d) to do most I didn't make them into a career. So career-wise, I still have no clue what I want to "be". BUT, I've decided that in general if something interests me, I will give it a reasonable shot, even if only for the experience of doing it.

The God'ess said...

Yes Lamont!! Exactly.

ABoyd378 said...

Happy and Successful is Always Good! :-D