Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 9 -- The Day You Discovered The Internet

I barely remember the year I discovered the internet so I know I don't know the day. I worked for a non-profit organization (Richmond Community Action Program) around 1998-1999 and had access to it at work, but I know the first time I had it installed in my home was around 2000-2001. 

At first, it was AOL...remember, they'd mail you those discs that were bullshit...and then we moved up to one of the local phone companies' service. All I remember was how many calls were missed because of that damn dial up and my then 3 (almost 4) year old signing on to play a game and not signing off. Even then, with nothing to compare it to, everybody knew it was slow as hell. 

Then, in 2002, I started working for the local cable company and they gave us free tv and internet service. I had to upgrade my computer because that stuff was lightning fast...when it worked. Broadband was fairly new to our area so it had moments of weakness. But it was free so I didn't complain...much. 

That's about it for this blog. How about a musical selection (strangely, this came out in 1985 when hardly anyone knew about the internet but we sang the song like we knew exactly what they were talking about.)


6 comments:

Reggie said...

Roger was a nice touch.

The God'ess said...

Thank you Reggie.

Thee_Kween said...

Yea, I always found that crazy that his song came out ahead of time. Like...How'd you know Roger? -_- lol

The God'ess said...

Roger was always ahead of his time. LOL

No Labels said...

I love that song..it definitely seems to fit (smiles)

ABoyd378 said...

Now the Song is stuck in my head... lol!!