Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 10 -- A Day I'd Rather Forget

There are a lot of days that I'd rather forget that I have subconsciously forgotten. In fact, that's one thing I'm great at...suppressing memories. But, in the spirit of writing, I guess I'll choose this one...

I was about 5 years old. My parents were having a Labor Day cookout at our house and most of my family was there. I vaguely remember my mother and my aunt (my dad's sister) "discussing" some shit...my aunt was/is too prissy to argue but she wasn't above being slick out of the mouth...and then, it was over. Jump ahead a few minutes later and my aunt comes over to me while I'm playing with my cousins and tells me (and I'll never forget these words), "you know Brenda and La aren't really your cousins. They're your sisters." Just like that. Out of the blue. Without rhyme, reason, or warning. I mean, Brenda and La weren't even there. They were in NC with our grandparents and (whom I came to find out ) our mother. 

So after everyone went home, my parents were still sitting outside and I went over to them and asked them about it. They admitted it was true and I remember crying and asking why didn't she (she being my birth mother, Lillian) want me. They then told me the story about how she became blind and couldn't take care of me and on and on. I'm not sure how someone older would have handled it, but needless to say, I didn't handle it well. That story will come out on day 28's blog...my first fight. 

There's a lot more to the story but I don't feel like divulging or thinking about it. 

That's us...me, La making the crazy face (she hates this pic and that's why I'm using it) and Brenda celebrating my 40th birthday along with our brother, TJ and La's and my great-nephew and Brenda's grandson, Jaiden. That's a day I love to remember. :)

9 comments:

No Labels said...

Aww...it's just that feeling of shock when you haven't been told the whole truth. That's how I felt when my mom told me my dad had died only to discover from my grandma he just didn't want the responsibility.

((hugs)) very brave to share your pain

The God'ess said...

*hugs*

Thee_Kween said...

I have to remember to kick myself for this damn question...

***HUGS***

The God'ess said...

*HUGS*

Reggie said...

Thats a helluvalot for a five year old to think about.

Divaprocessor said...

Wow she just walked up to you and told you just like that no emotion no explanation nothing....You get HUGS for that one Sis

The God'ess said...

Indeed it is, Reggie.

Thanks Sis. *HUGS*

As the Budda Flows said...

I just had a vision of muggun ya aunt...thats crazy but you would have found out one day i just think that wasnt the way. I hope you and your siblings were able to get together and be a family

ABoyd378 said...

*BIG HUGS*