Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 7 -- The Day You Found Your First Best Friend

I don't remember THE DAY that I met Sheree. Just seems like she was always in my life but I think we met when I was about 4 and she was about 5.  She lived in the house across the street from my aunt and uncle and just a few blocks away from my house. Once my mother switched to day shift, my aunt and uncle would watch me while my parents were at work and Sheree and I would play with each other whenever I was over there. 

I remember going to her house and her parents would treat me like I was their own. In fact, her mom would introduce me to folks as "her other daughter". Her older brothers, Steve and Harold, would treat me like their sister. Playing games with us. Cracking jokes. Taking us trick or treating, etc. 

I can't count how many times I scraped my knuckles playing jacks on my aunt's stoop. Sheree's stoop had carpet so while we wouldn't hurt our hands, the ball wouldn't bounce as high either. lol. We'd skate in the street, TRY to double dutch, play board games and with Barbie dolls. You know...girl stuff. Her mom would  also make Tang. My mom would never buy it so Mrs. Anderson was way cooler. lol. 

As you can see (because I swiped her pic with permission), we are still friends. We're so close that her oldest and my middle child were actually due on the same day. My son decided that he couldn't wait...fast ass.  

Whenever I go to Richmond and time permits, I stop by to see her and her husband and kids. After her mother passed away, she and her family moved back into her childhood home...and my uncle still lives across the street. So it's nice to revisit them in my old 'hood. 

I could write a book about Sheree. She has the biggest heart and the softest voice of anyone I know. Just don't get her mad because it ain't pretty. LOL But she is...look at her up there looking like she's 21. 

So that's part of the story about my first best friend. I loved her then. I love her now. Any questions?

*This blog is dedicated to the memory of my 2nd family, Mr. & Mrs. Anderson and Steven Anderson...RIP Loved Ones*

10 comments:

As the Budda Flows said...

she seems like a beautiful person!!

Lamont C said...

Lifelong friends are great!! Here's to life long friends...!

Thee_Kween said...

Aww, this is soooooo sweet...so sad though...yet ANOTHER friend I'mma have to put in the headlock! I've already threatened Joy's first bestie. LMAOOO

kidding...I think that's beautiful. I never had the pleasure of keeping a lifelong friend like that. I'm hard to stay friends with. ctfuuuu

The God'ess said...

Budda...she really is!

Lamont...cheers!

Kiwi...------>

No Labels said...

Aww...this is so beautiful! To still be friends after all these years--a true treasure, indeed!

Ree said...

Maria,

You brought tears to my eyes. I have never had anyone say such nice things about me. You are and always be my sister and my first best friend.

My whole family loved you and Harold still asks about you when I talk to him.

You and I have been and will always be close.

Love and miss you sis! Come visit us soon. You know you don't need an invitation! :)

Ree

The God'ess said...

I love me some Ree! Tell Harold I said hello!

Reggie said...

Nice post. I could use a friend like that too.

The God'ess said...

Thank you Reggie.

ABoyd378 said...

I am Loving this Day! :-D