Friday, October 15, 2010

October is...

Most of us know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and I hope that my people have been checking for lumps and abnormalities in their chestal areas...yes men, you too can get breast cancer.  But October is also Domestic Violence Awareness month and this issue is one that needs to be brought to the forefront as well. 

I could easily lay some frightening statistics in front of you about domestic violence but I will leave that to the experts at the Domestic Violence Resource Center (http://www.dvrc-or.org/domestic/violence/resources/C61/ ).  I could show pictures of those that have been affected by domestic violence but you can Google those images for yourself.  

I guess all that really needs to be said is if you or someone you know is involved in a domestic violence situation, please get help.  Call 911, your local police department or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE and know that you're not alone.   This message has been brought to you by me because...I've been there. 

5 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

*standing O*

The realest post yet...and I've been there, too.

Afrodeezha said...

What I hate is that nearly all of us have been there at least once...

The God'ess said...

Yes, ladies. Whether physical, verbal or mental, we've all been there.

BE Lauriette said...

I still think Domestic violence deserves it's own month. It gets lost in the sauce of Breast Cancer Awareness.

The God'ess said...

Agreed, BE