Thursday, October 7, 2010

The REAL Me

I've been writing on this site for 7 days and I realized that not many people know who the real Maria is.  Only a few people know my life story and I feel that it's a worthy enough story to share so sit back, grab a drink and let me take you on a little journey into my life.

I was born September 22, 1971 in Roanoke Rapids, NC--my current city of residence, but not what I consider my hometown--to Lillian Hargrove.  My sperm donor, DJ Jones, was never in the picture and won't be in this story very much. Now, when I was born, Maria wasn't the name given to me.  I didn't get that name until two years later, by my adopted parents, James and Mary Alston (see the correlation...Mary...Maria), who was the brother and sister in-law of Lillian.  Anyhoo, my birth name (which I still despise to this day) was Virginia Marie Hargrove. Ugh.

I guess I'm jumping ahead in the story so allow me to backtrack but skip some unimportant parts of the story.  Let me tell you how I became to be an adopted child.  My birth mother, sperm donor and one of my birth sisters, Sarah were walking home from the store one day and there was a man that had a crush on my mother.  He saw her walking with DJ and became enraged.  Apparently, he decided that if he couldn't have her, no one could so he took a shotgun, pointed it out the window of his house and shot my mother (who was pregnant with me at the time) and my sperm donor. The bullet hit my mother in the head but thankfully, didn't kill her.  It did, however cause her to go blind.  Social Services determined that there was no way that she could take care of a newborn, my grandparents, with whom my mother lived, were too old to take care of me, so my uncle and aunt decided that they would take me before I was born.

So on September 23, 1971, I was brought to Richmond, VA and was molded into the God'ess you see today.  There's a lot more to the story but I really don't like speaking about it.  But I will say that I'm grateful to God, James and Mary (R.I.P.) for allowing me to experience life as I know it.  And I thank God for Lillian (R.I.P) for allowing them to raise me.

I'm done.

10 comments:

Afrodeezha said...

You came into this world a miracle. Thank you for sharing.

The God'ess said...

Thank you for reading, Dee.

Thee_Kween said...

See...you're an angel. :)

The God'ess said...

Stop that Kweenie! You're gonna make me cry.

Thee_Kween said...

I nub you, doe (((hugs)))

The God'ess said...

I nub you too, Buckwheatess.

S.O.A.P. said...

Like Afrodeezha said. YOU ARE A MIRACLE just by your existence.

VIRGINIA???? Wow, diva all this time and I didn't know that. Maria seems like it suits you. See, you are so blessed that even a more suitable name was provided for you. Gotta love dem angels working it out on your behalf.
DIVA HUGS!!!

The God'ess said...

Thanks Chick. I am truly blessed in more ways than one.

BE Lauriette said...

You are a blessing. ((((HUG)))) What an amazing story.

The God'ess said...

Thank you BE. (((HUG)))