Sunday, October 31, 2010

Music Makes Me Lose Control




I grew up in a household where music was always being played. There was at least one radio in every bedroom (I got my first tv and stereo system for my room when I was three), and my father had 3 stereo or component sets, as they were called back in the day. He had one that played records and 8 tracks, one that just played records and one that just played 8 tracks.


I grew up listening to the music that my father played and he played them all. Everything from Dinah Washington to Aretha Franklin. From Brook Benson to Blood, Sweat and Tears. My father's taste ran the gamut. And it got me to thinking, whatever happened to GOOD music?


Music nowadays is nothing but words said or sung over a beat. There is absolutely no feeling to the music that's being played now. You have people that are selling millions of units, selling out concert venues and becoming millionaires, not because they necessarily sound good, but because they look good. And in some cases (*cough* T-Pain), neither is happening.


Speaking of T-Pain, what is really up with auto tune? I mean, Roger Troutman was a genius for using it because no one ever heard it before. But now, everyone that has access to recording equipment uses it, even if they have a nice voice. Please, for the sake of all mankind, let that shit go. If you have to use it, maybe you should be a behind the scenes person anyway because it clearly means that you are not sure of your talents.


In closing, I will say that I long for music with meaning. Love songs that really spoke about love. Party songs that made you want to get up and dance. Songs that, when you heard them, you'd say to yourself, "I know what you mean ________ (fill in blank with your favorite artist)" Until then, my radio will stay off and my Music Choice channel will stay on Classic Soul that play hits such as this:



2 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

YES!!! You're right on everything. My playlist is comprised of older music. Very few artists today can produce the kind of music that evokes pure raw emotion. My dad was a BIG music fan. He DJ'd and owned over 3,000 vinyl records. He would tweak his stereo system to sound like something in an auditorium. Growing up, music was just a part of the day you couldn't live without.

I just posted Donny singing "Love, Love, Love" Friday night. LOVE him...

The God'ess said...

You and I talked about this a little the other night. Neo-Soul is the closest thing we have right now to anything that speaks to the heart and soul of a person.