Thursday, October 21, 2010

You Don't Speak For Me

There's a YouTube video called "Black Marriage Negotiations" that's making its way all over the world wide web.  If you haven't seen it, take a look at it here.

For those who have seen it and for those that (gasp) believe it, allow me to set some of the record straight:

1.  Not ALL black women think, feel, or talk this way.  When I say talk, I don't mean the robotic tone they are giving off.  I mean the way Robot Sister double-speaks and contradicts herself continuously throughout this whole segment.  Not all black women feel as though a man should be a certain height, weight, make over X amount of dollars or whatever other crazy notion Robot Sister was speaking about.

2.  I've heard women of other races say these very things, so in my opinion, the title of the video is misleading.  I've watched "The Housewives of...(place your favorite bourgeois city here)" and my Caucasian counterparts are just as money-hungry and demanding, if not more so, than we are.  I'm sure that Kobe's, Tiger's and any other celebrity with a Caucasian mate were chosen because they were great guys with great personalities.  Their income and status had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with why these women fell in love with them.

*blank stare*

3.  Women DO want a strong, supportive man that will take care of them but that doesn't necessarily mean monetarily.  Most women that I personally know want to know that their men have their backs.  That their men honor and cherish them AND are willing to show reciprocity to them.  We don't expect our men to carry the full load by themselves.  We want a partnership but do want our men to take the lead.  I've heard it time and time again.  Men say that women don't let men be men.  How in the blue hell can we stop you from your birthright?  Don't blame us because you came up short in something that should have been instilled in you since the day you were born.

I guess I'll stop ranting and raving now.  Please don't think I disagree with the video as a whole because I do know quite a few women that do sound a lot like Robot Sister.  But don't place us all in a box.  Good black women, just like good black men, do exist.  You just have to be willing to do your research and find them.

4 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

Yea, a HOST of women from different cultures have this thought process...yet, a LOT of women, don't.

I know too many woman (myself incl.) that have settled for dudes who didn't fit "the dream" because we saw something good. Every woman isn't looking to upgrade herself with a dude.

Clearly, some dude somewhere has a bug up his ass about women. IJS.

The God'ess said...

I kinda like the video though. I mean, there ARE women out there that say those things and yes, they make those of us that don't think that way look bad.

BE Lauriette said...

I believe they took one aspect of one particular woman and exaggerated it to no end. It was ridiculous.

The God'ess said...

I agree it was ridiculous but unfortunately, I've seen women do exactly that. Makes it harder on good women.